Make your own free website on
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
The Ramblings of a Redneck Diva
Friday, August 6, 2004
Mood:  loud
Now Playing: "Hey Arnold" playing on the living room TV
I'm in a very obnoxious mood this morning. That means that the checkers at WalMart and the 16 year olds with McJobs who are pouty about having to go back to school in a week had better BE NICE. I'm in just the right frame of mind to waylay someone.

Oh yesterday was SUCH a wonderful day! I was surrounded by a house full of children all day and it was heaven. A noisy heaven, but still heaven. I sent the big kids outside when the little ones took a nap, giving me some quiet time. That was all I needed to recharge and then I was ready to go again. All 8 kids and I were outside, the weather was, it was just one of those days where you feel like you're doing something right in the grand scheme of things.

The boys had their light sabres and were battling some unknown evil lurking in my side yard, the two little ones were climbing all over the big toy (my two year old has no fear, btw, which means she'll either be a gymnast, biker chick or the president one of these days), one girl was playing with the dog, one was playing in the chat and one was swinging. It's not the first time, but man did I notice the difference between the boys and the girls. It wasn't evident in the little ones because they all pretty much play the same at that age with only few differences. But the bigger kids, there is definitely a gender line drawn in indelible ink. The boys form a team, an alliance, to play together, feed off each other, and truthfully there are few arguments between them in group play. They are more inclined to just go with the flow, the characters changing from time to time, the evil they are fighting can go from dark jedi dude to an indian in the canyons to a bad guy runnin' from the cops and the boys don't care, they just want to be the hero no matter what. Girls....oh girls....we are so much higher maintenance as a whole, aren't we? The girls all want to maintain control of the hierarchy, they all want to be the mommy when they play family, they all want to cook, they all want to be the diva on stage and how dare anyone try to share the limelight. If you do, oh sister, you better be ready for a fight. The principle is the same: Girls and boys alike want to be the hero/heroine, but boys are a little more flexible in how they attain that. Girls aren't. Period. We all took a walk down the driveway (1/10 mile) and the boys were running and riding the bikes ahead of everyone, racing, skidding the tires in the rocks, yelling, chasing the dog and just generally enjoying the freedom of movement. The girls were picking flowers, holding my hand, handing me flower after flower, putting flowers in my hair/their hair, looking at the birds, giggling when they saw a rabbit run across the field and just generally enjoying the beauty of the moment. It's the same in adults as well. When Paul and I walk, he's there for the sole purpose of getting to where we are going. His stride is long, his steps very fast, he looks straight ahead and doesn't talk. I, however, (and being a short-legged 5'2" doesn't help) walk very slowly, my stride being obviously very short, my steps fast only because it takes 2 of mine to equal one of his. I look from side to side, enjoying the scenery, commenting on things I see, trying to drag conversation out of him. It's just funny, the difference between men and women, because it starts when we are mere children.

Well, I gotta run. I had no intention of writing so much today! I'm playing maid today and doing my weekly house cleaning job. period's late and I'm going to take a pregnancy test while I'm in town. Pray, folks. Not sure how I want you to pray, but just do. :)

The Diva has spoken at 10:12 AM CDT
Thursday, August 5, 2004

My first night working at the baseball field concession stand this summer I told my husband that the kids could stay up till I got home. It was 9:00 before I got in and they were glad to see me. I was greeted by 3 smiling, yelling kids, who enveloped me around the knees and waist with hugs. I reciprocated, of course; who could resist that? Then I sent them all back to brush teeth and get ready for bed. Sam, our 5 year old, turned to walk down the hall then came running back and barreled into me, hugging me tight. He said, "MMMMMM, smell so good!" I kind of mentally preened for a minute, knowing that scent is a very strong sense and there are things to this day that when I catch a whiff of them, memories come rushing back. I was lost in the split-second reverie of creating a sweet "mommy memory" for my son until I heard the rest of his comment:"You smell like popcorn!!"

The Diva has spoken at 1:22 PM CDT
Updated: Thursday, August 5, 2004 1:24 PM CDT

Mood:  spacey
Now Playing: The sound of one hand clapping
Well, it's 8:40am and I figured that since things were going well at this point I'd jump on and blog for a few minutes. I'm sure you're thankful and are now satisfied that your day will proceed as normal. Well, all I can say is you are welcome. ;)

Man, I was not wanting to get UP this morning! That sleep was just too good. I stayed up till after 11:30 because I was watching A-Z: Sixteen Candles on VH-1. This morning I realize that was incredibly stupid, see as how if I stop typing my eyes actually close. I forced myself to get up and make pancakes first thing, started laundry, put on my makeup...basically doing everything in my power to stay moving and awake. I'm sitting now and typing with my eyes closed, lol. You think I'm kidding? Nope, typing away with my eyes blissfully closed. :D

The Diva has spoken at 8:45 AM CDT
Wednesday, August 4, 2004
Slumber party
Mood:  special
Now Playing: The sound of children sleeping and my husband channel surfing
Well, I think I may have bumped myself back up into the running for Mom of the Year. Or at least Aunt Kiki of the Year. I spent 45 minutes building the biggest living room tent made entirely of sheets that I've ever made in my life. I sometimes wonder if architect wasn't my calling. I mean, doesn't it mean I have talent when I can take 4 twin sheets and a stapler and create something that makes 5 children so happy they literally dance? I took pics and if I have a chance tomorrow I'll try to post them on here. (If someone has mastered this, gimme a buzz and enlighten me - I haven't been able to actually get one to show up yet. And no, I'm not a retarded monkey.)

One of my best friends called this evening to see if I could watch her two kids tomorrow while she works on her classroom, getting it ready for school. This means that I will have in my home:
one 9 year old boy
one 7 year old girl
one 6 year old girl
one 5 year old girl
one 5 year old boy
one 4 year old boy
one 2 year old girl
one 2 year old boy

If it wasn't so hot we'd play outside, but the heat index today was 103, so I'm not betting we do much outside time. And we only have a wading pool that measures mayyyyyybe 4 feet across, if that. No way in heck can 8 kids play in that without injury. I don't know how long the tent will last with that many kids, either. It should be an interesting day, to say the least!

Yeah, I'm thinking I may not be online much tomorrow, what do you think?

The Diva has spoken at 10:37 PM CDT
Updated: Wednesday, August 4, 2004 10:39 PM CDT
Mood:  down
This one truly will be short, folks, so write it down in the books that there actually was a day I wasn't long-winded.

I'm depressed as hell this morning. I have another FREAKING eye infection, I need $1000 in a bad way, I have PMS, it's raining, my throat hurts, a stupid bill collector called my husband at work this morning and of course in the grand scheme of things it's all my damn fault and aw screw it, why ramble on. I'm logging off and shutting down the computer for the day. I think I'll pop in Sixteen Candles, grab a blanket and think about on the days when I wanted to be Molly Ringwald.

I can remember crying for like 3 solid hours once because I wasn't Molly Ringwald. Huh???? Now I'd just like to be out of debt and halfway un-miserable for a few days in a row. Who the heck cares that I'm not famous and don't have the gorgeous red hair I've always dreamed of? Being Molly Ringwald is like the furthest thing from a priority now, but boy it was sure important when I was 15...says the bitter 31 year old.

Who was that wise woman that said "Don't rush growing up - it's not all you think it's going to be."? Hmmm...lemme think....oh yeah, now I remember - every adult woman I came in contact with as a teenager.

The Diva has spoken at 8:48 AM CDT
Tuesday, August 3, 2004
Ever felt like a raisin?
Mood:  irritated
I took a Sudafed and two Benadryl this morning and I'm thinking now that that was a huge mistake. For one thing, about 30 minutes after I took them I got so sleepy I literally could NOT hold my eyes open. I took the Sudafed thinking it would counteract any drowsiness from the Benadryl. Well, no such luck - the demon antihistamine was too powerful. I, being the horrible mother/babysitter I am, planted my hiney in the big chair and sat in a coma-like state while the children watched an hour and a half of Nick Jr. Maybe I'm the only person who does this, but when I'm in the drowsing mode, I can actually have conversations with myself (and whatever other pink elephant happens along, lol.) I finally, after the last 30 minutes of listening to a too-happy animated puppy and Latino girl with a pet monkey, had to tell myself that either I had to get up or I was going to just slip on over into catatonic. When I willed my eyes to open they honestly had to be the driest eyeballs that ever existed. I hate that!!! Antihistamines are great, they certainly serve a purpose when the ol' allergies are giving you fits, but they also dry the crap outta ya. Ugh, I have already drank nearly a quart of sweet tea and still feel like a raisin. I normally take ZyrtecD and that doesn't dry me out near as bad, but it also hasn't quite been doing the trick lately. Christina-Marie, a precious woman who has been reading my blog, told me to take echinacea and lay off the wheat and dairy. Totally wishing I had taken her advice when she originally gave it. I'm sure I'd be over this by now, but noooooooo I had to procrastinate. I've driven by the health food store a dozen times and don't realize it until I'm already past and by then I don't wanna turn around, cross traffic, drag all 3 kids know the drill. If I can just survive through today I'm stopping there tomorrow night on the way to karate. Guaranteed.

Poor Ab woke me up about 1:30 this morning saying she was going to throw up. Why is it that children feel they must announce to their parents when they are about to hurl? She is 7, has her own bathroom, she could've gone straight in there, done her thing, then she could've come told me. But instead I wake up out of a deep sleep, throw my arm over my face because I have this deep-seated fear of one of the kids actually barfing on me when they come in to announce their intentions. I told her to get to the bathroom, grabbed my glasses and ran right behind her to the bathroom. Bless her heart, she was white as a sheet. We sat in the silence of the glaringly bright bathroom lights for about 5 minutes, she squatted in front of the toilet, myself sitting on the side of the tub, feeling pretty sure that my butt cheeks were permanently frozen there like the proverbial tongue to the flagpole. I finally decided to pry my buns off the frigid porcelain and told her to stay while I fixed her a pallet in the couch. I am so proud of my couch, so when the kids are sick I all but drape it in biohazard plastic. First all of the back cushions come off, then goes down a thick blanket, then I drape a towel over the pillow and down into the floor. Trashcan (double-bagged of course) goes on towel and child may then barf to their heart's content. I got her settled on the couch, collapsed into my big chair and we both tried to sleep. Didn't happen, but we tried. She didn't sleep because she was selling Buicks (think about it -- Buh-yooooooooooooooooooooooick) and I didn't because my "cheeky panties" were so far wedged up my rear end I was afraid we were edging toward surgical removal. Whoever invented that particular style of underwear was obviously a man because I feel pretty confident that most women really do like more of their buns covered than what cheeky panties provide. More than a thong, yes, but still less than the traditional bun covers. Don't get me wrong they are great to wear under clothing, but when you're just wearing your ol' ratty Eskimo Joe's t-shirt and them to sleep in, things get precarious pretty quick. Boy did I digress... Okay, so when she finally got everything out of her system, bless her baby heart, she fell asleep and I quickly followed suit, even with a wedge of cotton up my hind end. 5:30 came entirely too early. She wasn't running a fever, so I didn't feel it necessary to call the mom of the little boy I babysit. I figured if she was still sick I'd just quarantine her off in her room and Lysol the heck out of everything she touched. I moved her to her bed, did the Lysol routine, made tea and waited for Chandler to arrive. By the time she got up around 7, she was fine. She's still pale, but has managed to keep down some Propel and a slice of bread. She's playing with everyone, bossing them around, so obviously things are back to normal.

Well, I hear whines and yells coming from the living room. My cue to exit Stage Mom's Not Happy.

The Diva has spoken at 11:47 AM CDT
Monday, August 2, 2004
Initial Night
Mood:  loud
Now Playing: What the heck does this mean? Like what's playing on the radio right now?????
It's Monday so that means it's "Initial Night". Tif and her husband watch the OC and Paul and I watch WWE. Dunno, it was funny to me. :-)

I absolutely love watching wrestling. Not only is it an opportunity to watch half naked men exhibit gratuitous acts of testosterone-induced pseudo-violence, but hey, it's my right as a redneck woman to be able to watch what my man watches, which could include, but is not limited to, Nascar. And no, I don't watch Nascar. Just commenting that if I wanted to, it'd be okay. I enjoy a good rodeo, have been known to watch Arena football-when so inclined-and there really is nothing better than a demolition derby. I was supposed to drive in one last year, did you know that? Sadly I'm gonna be a grey-headed osteoarthritic woman and still talking about the time I was "supposed" to drive in the derby. It's actually on my list of things I want to do before I die. Getting married and having kids were two items on said list and I've accomplished those, so why can't I drive a derby once?


Last night after church and after it got dark, John, Tif, Eddie and Paul and I went out to hunt a cache. For those of you who are going huh right about now, let me explain what "caching" is. In order to cache you must have a GPS. People hide these caches all over the place, which can consist of nothing more than a log book and pencil or can go as far as being something like a landmark and you have to take your picture to prove you've been there. Most caches, though, are rubbermaid type boxes with a log book and some trinkets, goodies, what have ya. The idea is that you bring along things to trade out with the things you find in caches. Okay, anyway we insane people hide these things, log the coordinates on the website and then more insane people go find them, relying on the GPS, the weather and how good their hiking boots are. It's a blast and you can easily use up a whole day or night hunting and hiding these things. Lots of the folks in our church have this rather interesting hobby and we have been hooked as well. Check it out here!

Our pastor, James, and my cousin, Chad, are two of the most known cachers in the area and are infamous for their tricky and hard to find treasures. James hid one down in the woods, made up this supposed legend to go along with it and finds a rather twisted pleasure in scaring the holy poo out of people with it. It's a night only cache, so you have to wait till dark, don the boots, jeans and OFF, grab a flashlight and muster up your courage. So we all head out to find "The Legend of Johnny Marble" which in addition to finding the treasure, you might also find yourself face to face with Johnny Marble himself (aka James or Chad, depending on if they know your're heading out there, lol). We get about half way there and I'm telling them the stories I've read about it and John all of the sudden says "YOU MEAN WE'RE HUNTING JOHNNY MARBLE??? Aw geez guys, if I'd known we were hunting Johnny Marble there is NO WAY I'd have come!" And bless his heart, he was serious. John's not a big fan of being scared. But press on, we did. We parked right off the road, donned head lamps, grabbed flashlights, sprayed ourselves with a heaping helping of DEET and into the woods we went. Oh my goodness it was humid and the woods were so thick and John and Tif were both not wanting to be there, but I personally was having a blast. The brush and trees are so thick in there that the GPS is useless, so the trail is marked with reflective tape and tacks. We got a few yards in and lost the trail, which made us have to backtrack a bit and find a different trail. We got far enough in to find the old electric pole to the old house we needed to be at, but couldn't find the house, nor any more tacks. We were all kind of just looking around, wondering just where in the heck a house would hide, when all of the sudden we hear an alarm going off. John's Expedition has an alarm on it. And John's Expedition is a program car from the car lot he works for. Agh, so here we go, trekking back out of the woods, much faster than we came in. Eddie and Paul both were nearly running, John was just trying to make sure Tif and I weren't murdered by some tortured soul in the woods and Tif kept saying "I am not sure I'm your friend right now, Kristin. Yep, I'm really thinking I don't like you much anymore." LOL I was just laughing my butt off at her. John's thought was that Chad or James had actually set off the car alarm to make us come back up the trail so they could scare us, which made him goosier than all get out. Well, by the time the 3 of us bringing up the rear make it to the end of the trail, Paul and Ed have already come back to find us, bring with them the news that it's not the Expedition's alarm, but one at a nearby building. Well, Tif said she wasn't going back into the woods, John agreed, also saying that if someone was in the area setting off alarms, they could just as easily try to get into his car. So the hunt for Johnny Marble was aborted. *sigh* I haven't been caching in ages and when I finally get to go, we don't even find the durn thing. But truthfully, I understood where they were coming from, so I really wasn't upset in the least. Paul and I are going to try to hunt it again this weekend and I hope we actually find it this time. The luck we were having with not being able to even find the house makes me wonder what kind of luck we'll have the next time.

I haven't seen my little lizard friend out here in my room again, but I swear I hear him. In fact, while I was typing I had Paul come out here (because my feet were up on the keyboard) to turn on a light so I could see just exactly what was rattling around under my desk. I didn't see anything, but you know feet are still up here on the keyboard and I'm finding that, for a fat girl, I'm still pretty limber.

The Diva has spoken at 10:12 PM CDT
Updated: Monday, August 2, 2004 10:22 PM CDT
Sunday, August 1, 2004
"I'm not a pickle, I'm a cucumber."
Mood:  surprised
Okay, before I go ahead with today's blog I've gotta update you on the last one.

In addition to the awesome dinner and free play we got at the casino Thursday we also got a goody bag! I didn't even know about it until the next day when I dropped the kids off at Mom's. She told me she had a bag for me and Sis. I figured it was just something the kids had left or something she had found for us and was just wanting to get out of her house. No...they are actual tote bags that say "Quapaw Casino" and inside was a koozie, a magnetic clip and a t-shirt. Pretty durn cool eh? Y'all may not be excited, but this chick was impressed, lol.

I've had a couple of people ask how the driver's license picture turned out. Pretty almost alright, I guess. I mean for a driver's license picture it's not too bad. The only thing is, they made me take my glasses off! I have worn glasses since I was 11 and they are a part of me. I have tried to wear contacts two separate times in my life and I have actually had people tell me I look weird. I'm just meant to wear glasses. And my hair, which is really dark anyway, looks even darker in my picture, so I think I look like a big fat indian woman, LOL. No kidding! I told Sis that and when she looked at it, she goes, "Yyyyyyeah, I can see that." I called Mom, because I knew she had gotten hers renewed a few months back, to see if she had to take hers off, too, but nooooooooo they let her keep hers on! It's so strange that I had to take them off because I have the corrective lenses restriction on my license, so you'd think they'd want my picture to have me in them. *shrugs* Dunno. Maybe the lady at the tag office just needed a good laugh and I was the unfortunate person who she picked to cheer her up.

Okay, so on to today's actual blog, telling the events of the weekend...

Friday night we went out for Sis' birthday, which was a total hoot. Bub dropped Sis off at one of the small casinos in town, came out and picked up all of our kids and me and took us to Mom's to leave the munchkins. Then he and I met Sis and our friend, Melissa, at the Stables. We were just planning on hanging out until Paul got off work, then we were going to eat. Paul wasn't scheduled to get off until 8, so we were all hungry and cranky, but hanging, nonetheless. But miracle of miracles, he called me shortly after 7 and said he was on his way home to shower. So around 8 he called and said he was almost to town. About that time John and Tif showed up, just in time to get back in their car to drive across town to the steak house. The three couples had a really great dinner and just enjoyed visiting and laughing. I tell ya, some of the stories we tell when we're together. We were having such a good time I nearly cried all my mascara off.

So then after dinner, John decided he needed to go on home and for some strange reason get some sleep, the big poo. So we took Tif with us out to Quapaw Casino. We all kind of split up, but about 5 minutes after I sat down at my machine, here comes Tif strollin up. She had blown $20 in that short 5 minutes! I'm tellin' ya, it's easy to do. Been there done that. It only took me about 15 to lose $15. A buck a minute...not good. So we left those machines by the wayside and headed to a different part of the building. I wanted to play my favorite game, RedBall. Tif and I got machines side by side and were having a ball. I taught her how to "woogie" her machine for luck, which she thought was silly at first, but after awhile we were both woogie-ing like crazy, lol. Paul was bored and sat down at a slot machine behind us and put in a dollar. By this time Sis was on the other side of me. He tapped Sis on the shoulder and said, "Uh, I think I just won $100." Well, imagine the three of us turning around simultaneously. That definitely got our collective attention! Sure enough, he had won a $100 jackpot. He went to the cage and got his cash, then decided to try it again. He put in a $10 and in $6 had won another $87. We were making him cash out when he won, otherwise he'd just play it all again. All told he won about $250 during the course of the night. Me, I just played $40 of his winnings, lol.

Okay, sidebar...a hilarious one at that... While I was typing along here, my internet answering machine rang and I needed to return the call. I walked out onto the carport to get my cell phone out of my van. I dialed the number as I was walking and it's a good thing poor Sarah didn't answer the phone because as I walked in the door I stepped on a lizard!! Imagine the scream that came outta my mouth. And imagine the surprise she'd have gotten had she picked up!! Iiiiiieeeeeewwww, I hate lizards!!! I was so busy screaming and jumping around that I'm not even sure where the stupid thing went. He could've run right back out the door, he could've run further into my bedroom. I'm not sure I'll be sleeping here tonight, lol. iew iew iewiewiewwwww iiwewwwwwwwww that was gross!

Okay, so now I'm not even in the mood to type any more. That stupid thing could still be lurking here in my bedroom!! Yeah, I'm thinking I want to leave my bedroom for awhile. If I get enough courage to enter this part of the house again today I'll write more, otherwise y'all may have to wait awhile, lol.

The Diva has spoken at 4:36 PM CDT
Updated: Sunday, August 1, 2004 4:47 PM CDT
Thursday, July 29, 2004
Luck be a lady
Mood:  hungry
Well, at least the $25 I lost at the casino tonight wasn't mine. *sigh*

Tonight was my first ride in a limo, which I could SO get used to. We all met up at the casino and left our cars, so everyone could go home when they wanted later. Lemme tell ya, they were double and triple stacked in Aunt Janet's van when I arrived and when Aunt Janet said, "Climb in and find a lap!" I replied, "Oh dear, there is no lap in there quite ready for that." Man, was I ever glad when her sister volunteered to drive her car! We all gathered in Larry and Janet's house to await the arrival of the limos. They brought a black and a white one, a Lincoln and a Cadillac. I told the driver at the door that I wanted to ride in the Caddy, but to tell you the truth I just got in the black one because it was prettier and I couldn't tell the difference. We crammed 9 people into a limo that was probably only supposed to seat 6 or 7. And Mom and I ended up riding backwards and I was pretty thankful the drive out there was only about 5 miles. Any further and they'd have had to pull that long sucker over to let me hurl. So anyway, we just goofed it up real good the entire drive, really enjoying ourselves and probably making that poor driver think we were nuts. I'm surprised he didn't put up that little privacy window divider thingy. At the casino we all got out and they took our picture (and of course I forgot my camera!! But they're supposed to email them to me tomorrow) then the escorted us into the bar where they had the whole shebang set up. No pictures there since it's illegal inside the place, but it was pretty nice - for a bar inside a casino anyway, lol. They fed us t-bones that were so melt in your mouth it was incredible. My cousin Keith had a baked potato on his plate that honestly was as big as a football! I sat between my cousins, Chad and Keith, and that was probably one of the most fun meals I've ever eaten. We laughed so hard through the entire meal I'm surprised one of us didn't get choked. Here's an example of the kind of things we were laughing over:

Chad and Courtney are working at a motorcycle rally this weekend and Courtney is announcing. She was telling us how she is going to have to announce the wet t-shirt concert and wasn't really all that excited about it. When she asked them just how she was supposed to go about saying it they said, "Just yell 'SHOW US YOUR T--S!'" She was even less excited about saying that. Then they proceed to tell us how rough it might get with all those bikers and all that beer. I told her that if things got too rowdy to just yell my name over the intercom and I'd come up and show 'em my boobs because that was sure to clear the place in a heartbeat. Keith said if I just cut two holes in my shirt right off the bat I'd be able to control the crowd. But when I told him that the holes would have to be down close to the hem of the shirt he and Chad nearly fell out of their chairs. Crude, yes it is. Funny, even more so. Sadly, it's not too far from true. *shrugs* What can I say.

Along with the free meal we also got the $25 free play I mentioned, but we found two bonuses in our envelopes in the form of 2 free beers. Not being a beer drinker, I promptly gave mine to cousin Keith. So did just about everyone else. If the poor kid makes it home tonight it'll be a miracle, lol. I played my money to the best of my ability, which isn't saying much. I mean, how much ability is really required to hit the button over and over in electonic gaming? I played for over an hour on their $25 and came home with $5, so all in all it wasn't too bad. If I'd cashed out every time I won I'd have come home with $35 more, but oh well. I had fun while it lasted.

Tomorrow the kids and I have a bunch of errands to run, including getting my driver's license renewed. The state just switched over to a new sytem, not allowing you to use your SSN as your DL# anymore, which means now I have yet another set of numbers to memorize. I'll have to get fingerprinted, too and of course, have that awful picture taken. And it's supposed to rain, which means I will have the most horrendous hair ever. Just once I'd like to take a half way decent driver's license picture...just once! Of course, my last picture, while still bad, is a heck of a lot better than my Sam's Club membership card picture. Oh heaven's, that thing is atrocious!!! Even my mom, who tries to always make ya feel good, said, "Oh honey."

Well, I hear a piece of red velvet cake calling to me from the kitchen. Yes, I realize it's nearly midnight and yes, I know it'll go straight to my butt, and no, I really don't care. Then I'm off to get my beauty sleep before my photo shoot tomorrow!!

The Diva has spoken at 11:12 PM CDT
Updated: Thursday, July 29, 2004 11:16 PM CDT
This weather rocks!
Mood:  spacey
We have had a week of the coolest weather I've ever experienced in July. Sunday morning it was actually cool enough to merit a sweater. The girls had goose bumps when we were going into the church! It's been so cool all week, it's given everyone this little shot in the arm that is unheard of during the hellish Oklahoma summers. Usually this time in July it's nearly 100' with heat indices as high as 110 and the humidity somewhere around 4000%. Right now the temp is 67. We've spent more time outside this week than we normally would - we've gone to the park, played outside... of course today it's raining, but still it's awful durn inviting to just run out there...

My uncle is running for state representative and Tuesday was the primary election. We were so hoping that he'd win with enough of a percent that there would not be a run off. To win you have to have 50% of the votes. He won with 49.3%. Agh! SO close!! Technically he won, but there still has to be a run off. Yesterday we had an informal meeting and we now all have only one shirt in our wardrobes, lol. My children are going to be labeled the poor kids at school because they will wear only their campaign shirts for the first 3 weeks of school, lol.

My aunt won a drawing from one of the casinos and we're all wearing our campaign shirts there, as well. They're going to think they're being invaded when we all show up with matching shirts and hats and whatever else they forage around for between now and then. I'm all for wearing my shirt in support, but tonight I'm all about the free steak dinner and $25 free play in the casino. Ya know, a girl's gotta have her priorities in order.

Tomorrow's baby sister's 28th birthday and there are 4 couples all getting together to hit the casinos that give away free play on birthdays. Might get expensive for the 7 of us non-birthday folks, but Sis is going to have a ball, lol. Mom's watching all 5 grandkids overnight so that we can have a good time and not have to worry about dragging the kids out at some ungodly hour. Mom rocks. I'm looking forward to some fun "grownup" time this weekend. School starts in a few weeks, I'll start babysitting again next Monday...things are going to get serious again. Bummer. Kind of bites being an adult sometimes.

The Diva has spoken at 10:15 AM CDT
Tuesday, July 27, 2004
bring your own lampshade
Mood:  party time!
Happy Anniversary John and Tiffany!

Some friends of ours celebrated their first wedding anniversary yesterday and I meant to get a happy anniversary up on here before today.

Sorry it's late, guys! Love you both!

The Diva has spoken at 11:06 AM CDT
Friday, July 23, 2004
This is gonna take awhile, part 2
Mood:  hug me
Make sure you're reading these in order, folks...

Okay, so the drive there goes off without a hitch. We have walkie talkies and keep ourselves mega entertained the whole drive, talking about our own church camp and youth group memories, asking each other trivia questions, commenting on billboards, you name it. I made it to Stroud before the eye-crossing exhaustion hit me. Sis drove us in the rest of the way, while I sat in the passenger's seat, unable to sleep, but borderline catatonic, nonetheless.

Sis went as a cook for another church who was in desperate need for one (God bless her willing, helpful heart), but they weren't supposed to arrive till later in the afternoon, so when we hit camp she just went up the hill with us. The look on her face when we entered the cabin was so priceless...which I'm sure the look on my face mimicked it as well. I've stayed in some pretty rough church camp cabins before and this one was definitely in the "rough" category. But it smelled relatively clean and we didn't see rodents or roaches scatter when we opened the door, so I was counting blessings right and left. I had separate cook's quarters, which wasn't the Ritz, but it was workable. I scooted two beds together and made the kids one giant bed and they were ecstatic, claiming this to be one of the best vacations ever. Oh to be a child again... So Heather helped with the unloading and the settling in before I took her to her cabin. Oh if we thought our cabin was rough...her face dropped another 6 or so inches when she saw hers. (She called me later with the news that that particular cabin had had an outbreak of some awful virus that had caused several people in it to be hospitalized. They ended up having to bleach everything down, bless their hearts.)

Sunday night when we were packing my throat started to get this little tickle in it. I figured it was from being up so late and shrugged it off. Monday night it was still scratchy and by Tuesday morning I had no voice. None. It was nothing but a whisper. If you couldn't tell it from the way I write, I love to talk, so not having a voice is a bad thing for me. Plus imagine being the cook in a cabin full of loud teenagers with no voice. But everyone was really sympathetic and the youth really did pay attention well when I'd wave my arms to get their attention. The kitchen wasn't like the one I'd conjured up in my Super Camp Cook fantasies, but it was workable. And I'll have to give all the campers credit, they were WONDERFUL help, pitching in even when it wasn't their turn for KP. My kids were so incredibly well-behaved I was shocked. Not saying I was expecting them to be hellions or anything, but I figured that being away from home I'd be open to more bad behavior. Nope, they were angels. The other sponsors and even the youth did a wonderful job keeping them entertained and occupied while I worked.

Wednesday morning we ended up sending a camper home because her blood sugar when she woke up was 300. The camp dr wasn't comfortable with her being there with out of control sugars, so we had to call her mom. I ended up in the clinic that same morning because in addition to the loss of voice, I woke up with some horrific eye infection and my right eye was nearly swollen shut. He gave me a diagnosis of laryngitis (no duh), some yucky tasting medicine for the throat, with the instructions to rest my voice - ha! - and some antibiotic drops for my eye.

Thursday morning I got up early to make pancakes. Well, the griddle on the stove hadn't been cleaned since oh... roughly 1927. Maybe that's an exaggeration, maybe it's not. It was nasty, regardless. But how else was I going to make 60-some pancakes? I certainly didn't want to do them all in a skillet and I had a breakfast deadline of 8:30. I couldn't control the heat very well, add that to the buildup of grease (and trust me I did try to clean it, people) and we had one smoky cabin. I was crying, Alicia was coughing, we had doors propped open. It was a disaster. I was feeling like a total failure when my cell phone rang. Strange for it to ring at 7am. It was Sis, calling from her cabin at the bottom of the hill: "Kristin, I'm hurting for some reason." From the sound of her voice I knew she was serious. I asked where and when she said her lower back I knew right then and there it was a kidney stone. Our dad passes 4-5 a year, Mom has had two and I've had one. I know about kidney stones. I told her I was coming to get her. She protested, I told her to shut up, big sister was coming down, hush and be ready. I woke up the Sarah and Dedra, the two moms with babies, told them the situation, asked them to watch the kids and I'd call in a bit. When I got to her cabin she looked uncomfortable, but not like she was dying or anything. By the time I got her in my truck she was crying and I knew it was serious. She's a tough cookie and for her to cry...well, let's just say I could feel her pain, having gone through the same thing myself. I got her to the clinic on campus and it was closed until 8. It was 7:45 at this point. She said she'd wait. She was lying on the pavement, leaning over a handrail, sitting on the steps - I mean, this girl was seriously hurting. I felt totally helpless, begging her to just let me take her on to the hospital. Finally the nurse shows up and when I said the words kidney stone she said "Get that girl to the hospital now! The doctor won't be here for another 45 minutes I have nothing stronger than extra strength tylenol in here and that won't do a darn bit of good." I got the directions to the hospital, left the kids' carseats with the nurse and off we flew. I had to take her to Ardmore, which was only about 20 minutes from the camp, but it felt like I was driving to freakin' Egypt. She was so miserable, crying, moaning, writhing, she couldn't get comfortable...oh it was awful. I was praying for her some relief and praying that God would give me a voice because I had phone calls to make and doctors to talk to. About that time my cell phone rang and when I said "hello" I had a voice. Praise the Lord, it was the coolest thing ever. Heather said later that even through all that pain she thought, "God gave her her voice back so she could take care of me." I got her checked in and we proceded to walk the floor of the waiting room. She decided to stop and lean up against a wall. All of the sudden she got a weird look on her face. I asked her what was wrong, expecting her to just drop to the floor or something, but she just said, "It's gone. The pain is gone." Well, mine certainly never quit hurting, so I was perplexed, but we were certainly willing to take any blessing at that point. Anyway, we saw the dr, they started an IV, sent her to CT, gave her some morphine and we waited. The dr came in and said, "I have good news - you have 3 kidney stones." I'd hate to think what his idea of bad news is. She had one on the right, which was the one causing her all the pain. It had moved (which was what it was doing when it hurt so badly) down pretty low and he said he expected her to pass it within a few days. The other two are still up in her left kidney and will make an appearance at a later date, bless her heart. They released her and back to the cabin we went.

I called Mom and Sis called Bub and everyone decided we should come home. We didn't argue. I left her at her cabin to sleep while I went back to mine to pack. My kids were oh so mad at me for making them leave because they were supposed to go fishing with James, the pastor, that night. Oohhh, was I not a popular mom at that point. The whole cabin was preparing to leave for an afternoon at the falls and we'd be gone by the time they got back. The kids were bawling at all the good-byes, I was bawling because my emotions were a little raw by that point, plus I was exhausted and it was a pretty rough afternoon. I took them to the campus bookstore to get some cool "Jesus t-shirts", as they called them, and that seemed to make things better. Plus I told them I'd take them swimming at Auntie's this weekend, promised them Happy Meals at dinner and I may have even alluded to a cash bonus at some point. Hey they were crushed and I was desperate, lol.

I wasn't about to let Sis drive with morphine in her system, so that left me to drive the entire 5 1/2 hours home. That meant driving through Oklahoma City, something I had never done before. I'm just now getting relatively comfortable with Tulsa, for cryin' out loud. But hey, trial by fire is pretty proving sometimes and I really had no other choice. I prayed the kids would sleep through the city and they did. Halleuiah. It was 4:30 when we hit city traffic, but it wasn't too awful bad, but I was glad we didn't hit it at 5. We got home last night about 9 and I was never so glad to see our house in my life. Paul was anxious to see us, as well, because he was on the carport waiting on us. The kids screamed "Daddy!!" when they saw him, the dog barked and we were home.

The Diva has spoken at 6:13 PM CDT
Pull up a chair and sit a spell....this is gonna take awhile
Mood:  not sure
Oohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my goodness, friends, family and fans of my blog, you are just gonna marvel at the adventure I call my life.

I'm home from camp, albeit a day earlier than I had anticipated. The reason will come later in the me.

Okay, Sunday was church, the final day at home before camp. Directly after church Sunday morning service we went to McDonald's for a 6 year old's birthday party. Ah, McDonald's...I'm lovin' it. :-)
We ducked out of the party just a hair early because I had to meet Alicia, the other camp cook, at WalMart to finish picking up our groceries. We had a lot of things donated by the churches, but there were still some things left to buy. Thank the good Lord in heaven that Mom offered to watch the kids while I went. We ended up with two carts full, saw several other cooks from other churches who were doing exactly the same thing, saw virtually every person I've ever met in my life and of course they wanted to visit, even ran into an old boyfriend, his wife and new baby. We finally got to the checkout, Alicia is freaking because she's thinking we've spent $500. Well, being the grocery guru that I am, I knew it wasn't that much, and sure enough, I estimated $200 and it was $216. Darn, I'm good. So we load it all into my van (which have I mentioned that the back doors still don't open?) and I go to pick up the kids at Mom, run out to WM to fill up the van, drive across town to meet Alicia to get Rubbermaid containers and the rest of the donated groceries, (btw, I'm still in my pantsuit and heels from church) then it's back home to unload the van, change clothes, start packing a few things in the Rubbermaid, then it's time for church again. I was basically there in body only because I couldn't focus on the sermon, only on what I had left to get done. After church we loaded up what was donated from our church and off I go to Sis' house, where she had dinner waiting, praise the Lord. Half way there, I noticed the battery light has come on in the van. Hmmm...I think, not knowing what that means other than maybe something's wrong with the battery?? I pull up to Sis', don't dare turn the thing off for fear it won't start again, holler at Paul, who's already there and he just gets this uggy "this isn't good" look on his face. I'm still thinking it's the battery, but oh noooooo, that would be too easy. It's the alternator. It's 8pm, Sunday evening, I'm leaving at 5 am, Monday morning, so what do you think the chances are of it getting fixed before I go? We take a look at Heather's van, it's too small. We get her in-law's SUV, a Bravada, and it's too small. I call the pastor, he says if I can at least get it to town we'll be alright because he's going to get a stock trailer. Whew, okay, that's great, not panicking quite as bad now. So we opt for Sis' van to drive there, we'll take the food to town in the truck and all will be well. We prepare to all head to my house to pack when I realize that the keys have somehow been locked in my van. Paul has to ride the motorcycle home, get his keys, drive back to Fairland, unlock me...ugh, I had managed to keep it together until then, but while he was retrieving keys I had a good cry. So we all meet back up at my house to start packing food because my mom's a whiz at things like that. Jon, my brother in law, calls Paul and they decide they really aren't comfortable with us driving her van all that way, can we take Paul's truck instead? It's a freakin' yard barge people, a big white Chevy with dual exhaust that screams "I'm a redneck", but it's dependable so we're driving it. We load all the luggage into Sis' van to get it to town, load all of the food into the bed of the pickup, Paul tarps it down and it's now nearly 1am. I fall into the bed at 1, Paul says he'll sleep on the couch so I'll be able to sleep better. At 1:15 I asked him to come to bed because I couldn't sleep. At 2 I gave up and started getting ready. We meet at the church at 5:30, expecting a stock trailer - whaddya know, no trailer. But God either shrunk everyone's luggage, increased the interiors of the vans or just did a miracle like with the bread and fish because it all fit. My 3 kids are squished into the back seat of the truck like sardines, Heather and I are half goofy from lack of sleep, we're in the church parking lot with 17 youth and we are ready to have our socks blessed off at church camp. Three 15 passenger vans, a pickup and an Xterra all head out at 6:35 am carrying 1 pastor, 2 youth ministers, 1 mom and breastfeeding baby, 1 mom and bottle baby, 2 goofy sleep-deprived cooks with 3 small children, 2 female sponsors and the rest is made up of youth.

God bless us everyone...

to be continued...

The Diva has spoken at 5:20 PM CDT
Saturday, July 17, 2004
The final countdown
Mood:  rushed
Well, I think I'm almost ready for camp. Almost. I think. :-)

I am skipping out on my uncle's campaign pig-roast tonight, even though the kids and I really needed some time out of the house, but I just feel so pressured I'm afraid if I leave the house I'll lose my energy. This much-needed break out here on the computer is already taking some of my steam, but I was headed that way anyway. Might as well chill while I'm doing something I love.

I scrubbed both bathrooms down today. Was that something that had to be done before camp? Probably not, but then again, yes it did. I am leaving my husband alone in this house for 5 days and if it's yucky when I leave it is only going to be yuckier when I get back, so I figured that by giving it a thorough scrubbing I'd at least be a little further ahead in the game when I got home. Amazing what rubber gloves, bleach cleaner and a toothbrush can do for a bathroom! Of course, now I can only smell bleach because I burned my nose, (great for those poor, sick sinues) but hey my bathroom's clean, lol. I cleaned Ab's too, which was certifiably disgusting. Never give a grade schooler her own bathroom. When she was 5 she painted a mural in Aquafresh Kids on the wall, at 6 she traced around all the butterfly appliques on the walls with pencil, and at 7 she has discovered glitter. That is the sparkliest bathroom in Oklahoma, lemme tell ya. But now it's also one of the cleanest. When I got done and could finally stand again, despite my poor, shaky, bruised knees, I called her in and began with "Look real hard at how clean this bathroom is at this very moment..." Used to she'd be all excited, like "What is Mom going to enlighten me with now?" but now she's wise to my motherly lectures and finds them not amusing in the least. She started the eye-rolling and the hip jutted out....Oohhhhhh that just drives me bonkers!! So I made the lecture longer. Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure if I get nominated for Mother of the Year, it's not going to be by her.

I have all of Ab and Sam's clothes in the small suitcase, all of mine and Kady's plus the towels and bedding in this humongous suitcase of Mom's that really should have it's own zipcode or something. I have no earthly idea how I'm going to cart that sucker around. Yeah, it's got wheels, but it's roughly the size of a double-wide. I have a big rubbermaid container that is going as the toy box, which will be packed once the kids finish watching Spirit here in a bit. All of the food that is here at my house is boxed and just needs to be loaded in the van, which husband doesn't know it yet but he's been nominated for that job when he gets home from work, lol. I need to pack toiletries, the hair dryer, 6 trillion ponytail holders and all of our pool stuff next. I see the light at the end of the tunnel, folks!

Well, husband just rolled in on his "Kawa-hog-y" (He wants a hog so bad, but there are also folks in hell who want ice water so...) and that's my cue to get busy again. I actually cooked tonight! He'll be so impressed. I want to make sure I'm in the kitchen when he sees actual food on the stove.

The Diva has spoken at 8:33 PM CDT
Friday, July 16, 2004
Well, the shot experience yesterday went off without a hitch. I told Sam first thing in the morning. He kind of teared up, but I told him I needed him to be super brave and show Kady how to act. He ate that up; loved playing big brother. He was the first victim and bless his heart, try as hard as he could not to, he cried. But it wasn't bad and as soon as it was done, he was done. Kady watched big brother with some serious curiosity and was totally cool when it came time for her turn. I assumed the standard toddler shot-taking position: I held her on my lap, pinned her legs between my knees, put the other arm behind mine and and held her elbow straight. She actually smiled through the entire thing. The nurse stuck her once, Kady grinned and watched. She reached for the next syringe and said, "'re supposed to be crying by now." She gave the other two shots and Kady was fine, flinching ever so slightly on #3. And then we were done, got suckers, stickers and coupons for free Apple Dippers at McD's. All was well with the world. Then I had to take her to WIC and get her finger stuck. She did say "Ow" on that one and jerked when the tech started squeezing her finger, but when she saw her blood going up that straw she was mesmerized and sat still. She's such a cool kid. Poor Sam asked me all day long, "Mom, even though I cried, am I still brave?" Ohh, God bless that precious baby. I told him that definitely yes, he was about as brave as they come.

The rest of the morning was filled with WalMart,a quick visit to Grammy's office so they could relate the details of the immunizing (is that a word?) and a run through McD's to get the Apple Dippers they so deserved. We stopped here at the house long enough to drop off the booty we had acquired at WM, let everyone pee and dope everyone up with some Tylenol. Then we were off to Tulsa to the dentist. Sam's cross-bite is almost completely corrected now and that is worthy of a mighty praise! The consultation with the dentist about Ab's mouth didn't go as well as I had hoped, but it certainly could be worse, so I shan't complain. He wants her to start a headgear, as I mentioned, but he also wants her to wear it 14 hours a day. 14 hours!?!? Geez, that just borders on cruel and unusual punishment and humiliation. I, of course, would never ever make her wear it out of the house. That would just be mean! The other bit of not-so-great news is that our insurance isn't going to cover it. But, by the grace of God, the dentist lowered the price and is letting me pay it out and even waiving a down payment. HALLELUIAH!!! I could've cried, he was so kind. If I take on another house to clean, twice a month, just like the one I'm cleaning now, I will have an extra $120 a month- $100 to pay him and $20 for gas. I think it's totally do-able.

I should be packing right now for camp, but I seriously feel a nap calling my name. I am battling what feels like the start of a sinus infection and I'm afraid I'm losing the battle. I know the allergy/sinus issues will only get worse down in the woods, so I'm praying for a healing before I go. I am about to run down as it is, simply from stress, and to get sick on top of it all...agh, not a good combination.

Btw, thanks for everyone who has been reading and commenting on my blog! I am tickled to death every time I get a new one. Makes me feel so special, lol. I'll probably write again before we leave for camp, but mind you, it may be unintelligible and make no sense whatsoever! But then, some days are like that already...

The Diva has spoken at 1:47 PM CDT
Updated: Friday, July 16, 2004 1:50 PM CDT
Wednesday, July 14, 2004
Allergies suck
Mood:  chillin'
Well, this again is going to be quick. That seems to be my theme these days, eh?

This afternoon I got a call from a friend who takes her kids to the same clinic I take mine. She said I needed to call them because they had a whole bunch of immunizations recalled and were having to re-shoot a whole bunch of kids. Agh! So I called...and sure enough...Sam and Kady both have to be stuck again. Ab hasn't had any shots since she was 5, so she was clear. But Sam had some last fall at his checkup and Kady some last winter, plus another HepA just last month. I guess they're going to have to repeat the entire HepA series and possibly another MMR. Maaaaaaaan...I told Sam he was done till he was 8!! He still doesn't know yet, either, which should be fun when I tell him. Wherever y'all live, you will probably hear him yelling when I break the news, lol. Really, though, he's a pretty tough kid and doesn't freak out like I used to. Oh man, I used to put my mom through the ringer with shots and even finger-stick blood draws. My kids have never had a phobia about them, which I count as a serious blessing. But he's still not going to be happy. Since we leave for camp on Monday I told them at the clinic I wanted everyone caught up before we left. You never know.

We also go to the dentist tomorrow afternoon. For Sam it's just a check on his appliance and possibly an adjustment. For Ab, it's her consultation with the dentist so he can tell me just how involved it's going to get. He already said headgear, but I'm hoping that's as far as we go right now. She's not looking forward to headgear anyway, bless her heart.

Well, I already typed longer than I had planned, which is pretty normal for my long-winded self, lol. I'll let everyone know how the whole "re-shot" experience goes tomorrow! I'm sure you're waiting on the edges of your seats, am I right? LOL

The Diva has spoken at 10:39 PM CDT
Tuesday, July 13, 2004
Another bleh kind of morning
Mood:  lazy
Well, I shouldn't have been concerned that I wasn't ready for the VBS lesson. We had no kids in our class!

Yesterday afternoon when Kady woke up from her nap her freaky post-fever rash was worse, so I called the nurse advice hotline. She said she was contagious and to keep her away from people. I called Heather to tell her I wouldn't be there and, bless her heart, she sounded almost mad. Can't say I blame her really. So I jumped on here - ah the power of the 'net. Everything I read about viruses, rashes and even Roseola (which she's had before but no one is sure if you can get it again), said that once the fever is gone and rash appears they aren't contagious anymore. So I threw together 3 pb&j's and out the door we ran. Heather was "cramming", so to speak and I felt so bad having put her through 30 minutes of thinking she was going to have to teach. She's such a saint. I helped her hang up a couple of posters and then it was time for the march in. We hustled our kids up front to the foyer, expecting it to be full to overflowing. It wasn't. We provided 5 kids to the total of 12 kids in the whole VBS. The preschool/Kindergarten class had 7, first/second grade class had 4 and there was one lone 5th grader. Heather and I stayed in the sanctuary to see what we could do to help elsewhere. James, the pastor, asked us to learn the hand motions to all the groovy songs. And thus we became the two dorky grown ups who teach the hand motions. Ahhh, the things we do for Jesus. This year's theme is a Japanese theme, entitled Rickshaw Rally, so the songs are all really fast with an athletic-type hand motion theme. We were down in a runner's stance, doing stretches, running in place - I hit my target heartrate pretty early on, lol. But the kids ate those hand motions up with a spoon, so it turned out to be almost fun.

The evening was almost over and Sam came through complaining he was cold. Well, the back of the church, especially the fellowship hall, is never cold. Heather said "ohhhhh noooo" and about 5 mom's all reached for his head at the same time. Yep, a fever. So we skipped closing and I loaded up my infectious crew and we ran out the door. By the time we pulled in the driveway Sam was out of his seat, knees in the floor, doubled over the seat crying with severe stomach pain. He could hardly walk! His fever was 102, so I got him in his pj's, laid him on the couch and poured the Tylenol in him. He ended up falling asleep on the couch, doubled up in a ball. How can a family of 3 kids end up with 2 completely different viruses??? Ab asked, "Why is everyone else sick and I'm not?" I told her to hush and stay in her room, lol.

The Diva has spoken at 8:56 AM CDT
Monday, July 12, 2004
Racing to Jesus
That's the lesson for tonight at VBS, which I only know because my wonderful, man-do-I-have-it-all-together sister told me over the phone this morning. I have yet to lay eyes on a book. Am I awful or what??? Sis worked so hard yesterday making our room look authentically Chinese with lanterns, paper scrolls, fabric draped from the ceiling... man, she rocks! The missions guy came into our room and asked her what room it was. She replied, "Third and fourth grade." He said, "No, what will the room be used for during VBS?" Heather again repeated that is was for 3rd and 4th grade. He said, "No...I'm missions, what is your room?" She said THIRD AND FOURTH GRADE!! She said he was way impressed that a teacher would go that far out for a home-room. Again, I must say she rocks. The pastor said it's the most authentically Chinese-looking room they have. She SO deserves a gold star for her work. Now I just pray that God blesses my lazy soul and gives me the right words to say to those kids tonight and the rest of the week.

I tell you what, I am totally overwhelmed, but in an underwhelmed kind of way. I know that God is giving me peace because I should be way more stressed than I should be. I have VBS every night this week and Falls Creek next week. My original plan was to pre-make a lot of the food for camp and just take it all down frozen, but seeing what the schedule looks like for this week, I'm thinking I'm just going to have to do it all there. But really I think it's going to work out by doing that. When the kids head off to tabernacle in the mornings the sponsors have the entire time before lunch without the kids, which can be used for prayer, showers or sleep, lol. I, of course, will use it for cooking - and prayer that I get it done! Then in the afternoons, while the kids are out doing recreation or chasing members of the opposite sex, I'll have time to prepare dinner. And if it's a pretty light load I can also pre-make stuff for the next day or even further into the week. I honestly believe God is going to bless that kitchen!

Agh, this blog is going to be short today. Looking at this screen is not helping this 2-day old headache I'm nursing. I've been having a lot more headaches lately, which used to be normal for me, but for over a year now I've been virtually headache free. Now all of the sudden again, I'm having them. Might be allergy issues, so I think I'll take a Zyrtec and a hot shower and see what happens... probably a nap will ensue, lol.

The Diva has spoken at 11:18 AM CDT
Friday, July 9, 2004
If I don't have a title I guess from now I'll just use bleh. What else ya gonna use? Bleh sounds pretty good to me.

Last night I had a meeting with the other staff/sponsors for church camp and had to take the kids. About halfway through the meeting Kady came over and laid her head on my leg and when I reached down to brush her hair back from her face I realized her head was hot. I asked Sarah, the pastor's wife, to feel her, too. Yep, definitely hot. So we scrapped a trip to the big W to get milk before we all end up with osteoporosis and went directly home. She was burning up by then. I had Paul start stripping her while I grabbed the thermometer. There is nothing worse than watching that thermometer climb higher and higher and feeling utterly helpless the whole while. It finally stopped at 104.4. The only other time any of my kids have ever had a fever that high was last summer when Kady had Roseola - it was 105 then and I had her butt in the ER pronto. But I knew there was a virus going around and with a fever that high it was a virus, so we stuck cool rags on her groin and under her arms, gave her a double dose of Motrin and a sippy cup of Gatorade and rode it out. She's run it consistently all durn day and I hope that now that we've hit the 24 hour mark, it goes away. Fortunately she's been drinking really well and I'm not too worried about dehydration. She even ate some dinner tonight, so I hope we're on the mend.

This next week starts VBS every night from 6-8:30. Heather and I have the 3rd and 4th graders. We have taken over the preschool, early childhood wing, so until we get our kids out of there we're stuck taking the older kids. I love 3rd graders, though. They are so loving and sweet!! When I subbed in the 3rd grade last year I got tons of pictures and declarations of love and hugs and oh talk about a self-esteem booster! So I hope we get a good group of 'em in VBS.

We end VBS on Friday night then the kids and I leave at 6am the following Monday for church camp, which is in Davis, OK. I've only been there once and it was when Heather was a summer missionary and Mom and I went down for her ceremony thingy. It's like a 4 hour drive. Bleh. With my 3 kids. Bleh. I'm the only full-time cook. There is a younger girl that is going to help, but she's also going in sponsor capacity, too. Then Shauna Foust is going to help as we need her. We're feeding 30, so yeah, I think we'll need her. I really think there should be another full-time cook, but I don't know if I'll get anyone to concur. Keep the prayers a rollin' in that week! Last night when we ended the meeting and we all went around the circle and prayed, I prayed for extra blessings in the organization department, lol. If y'all could do that, too, I'd be ever so grateful! Ab and Sam are old enough to go to a day camp thing for sponsor/staff kids, but Kady isn't quite old enough, so she'll have to hang out with me in the cabin. Should be interesting... to say the least.

Well, the kids have managed to spill bubble solution alllllll over their little bodies and probably my entryway, so I'm outta here. Or I'm outtie!

(Just 3 days till I Love the 90's, btw!)

The Diva has spoken at 7:54 PM CDT
Wednesday, July 7, 2004
Yadda yadda yadda
Mood:  down
I really have nothing to blog about in particular today. Sam has pink-eye and that is the high-light goin' on right now in the Hoover household. Man, do I live the wild life or what? Kady and Chandler are watching Bear in the Big Blue House right now, Abby's fixing her hair for the 30th time (and it's only 8:30 am) and Sam is probably squeezing out an entire tube of toothpaste or hot-wiring the car. Oops, nope, now I hear Chandler whining at Sam so the big bear must've lost it's appeal.

I am so tired of being tired! No matter how much sleep I get I cannot seem to get enough. I could sit down right now and sleep for probably 3 hours no problem. I could probably sit down after that this afternoon and sleep another 3. Then sleep 8 hours tonight and still feel like crap. I still attest that I am in peri-menopause, even though my mother in law says it's just because I'm fat, lol. Everything in the universe that is wrong is because I'm fat, just ask her. Anyway, everything I've researched and studied about peri-menopause describes me to a T and no one is going to convice me otherwise. One of the grand things about peri-menopause is that it's just one step under the hellishness of actual menopause except you can be in it for like 15 years THEN go through the real thing. Ah, ain't it great bein' a woman. My doctor (who I've since concluded is a certifiable quack) says I'm "chronically depressed". Ha! I'm so damn happy I can hardly stand myself, lol.

*sigh* I feel the need to write today, but I can't get motivated to actually start. I hate days like that - I know I have something brewing in my mind, either another story or possibly the first chapter in the next Great American Novel, but I can't get started. Once I get started, though, I can't stop. Maybe that's why I can't get movin' on it - I know I have too many other responsibilites and can't devote what I need to on the book/story/whatever it is.

Well, the silence of my office has now been broken. I have one 2-year-old arguing with me about where he's going to sit and read his book, another 2-year-old asking if she can play with all the toys that are set aside to put in caches, a 7-year-old asking me if her hair looks okay and a 5-year-old who is just tormenting the hell out of the male 2-year-old. Celebrate the moments of your life...

The Diva has spoken at 8:47 AM CDT
Updated: Wednesday, July 7, 2004 8:50 AM CDT

Newer | Latest | Older